Artists are always looking to improve their skills. All skilled persons believe that their talents lie not only in their ability, but the tools they use are very important to aiding their trade. That is why, the artist will always look for the best drawing pencils or paint brushes, carpenters the best drills and barbers the best machines. How you utilize your tool will also play a major role in the outcome you are looking for.
If you are looking for a last minute Christmas gift for an artist, or if you are an artist yourself and you are looking for a pencil set, this article will compare three brands based on their quality and product features. If the features are similar and you have a hard time deciding which of the three is better for you, then you can let price be a deciding factor when making your choice. However, if neither of the pencils suits you, you can, of course, search the internet and look for product reviews.
Colore 26 Piece Drawing Pencil
As the name implies, the drawing pencils come with twenty-six pieces and the set is a premium one. The pencils are graphite and charcoal, and the manufacturer boasts that they use the best materials and lead to ensure durability and quality. If you intend to draw portraits, then the graphite pencils will be most suitable for your use. The brand does not discriminate, and they can be used by both beginner and expert sketchers.
- The drawing pencils come in a variety of shades for you to choose from. These shades are from 2H to 5H and from HB to 8B. Different shading effects can be achieved using different shades.
- The set comes with a free PDF book that is titled “Drawing and Sketching.” This book is ideal for beginners and will provide a guide and some of the theory of drawing and sketching.
- The kit makes a perfect gift for toddlers or artists, and it is backed by a lifetime guarantee.
- The set comes with twenty-six pieces, twelve are graphite and have varying levels of hardness, three charcoal pencils that have each degree of hardness, one soft graphite pencil, two sharpers and erasers as well as six sticks, three charcoal and three graphite. It is the perfect artists’ kit and is very compact.
- It does not come with colored pencils. If you had hopes and aspirations of using colored pencils for a sketch, this kit does not include colored pencils for your use.
- The kit does not come with an H pencil. If you were hoping for a pencil that was H, you would have to settle for one that is 2H.
- When sketching, you will have to sharpen your pencils often to keep them pointy.
Derwent Graphic Drawing Pencils
The Derwent Graphic Drawing Pencils is a set of twelve medium pencils that come with a metal thin. It is available in full range (9B to 9H), Medium, Hard and Soft. It is also available in quantities of twenty-four, twelve and four. You get different textures and details with these pencils that are either soft or smudgy. They are available in B to 6B, HB, F and H to 4H.
- The pencils have points that don’t require regular sharpening as the graphite is made even and the pencils are strong and durable.
- The set comes with a lot of variety. This makes it perfect for the hopeful artist and even the professional as they now have an assortment to chose from. This assortment comes in a metal case.
- The pencils are made with the artist in mind. They go on paper smooth, and the variety gives you a lot of options for pursuing different textures.
- Despite the pencils coming in a metal case, they do not come with sharpeners or erasers. The onus is on you to find the best erasers and sharpeners. Some sharpeners will cause the lead to break.
- The pencils advertised are medium, but despite this, they have a hardness to them and if you are not careful or a professional user, you may damage your paper.
Castle Art Supplies Drawing and Sketching Pencil Art Set
This pencil art set comes well equipped with twenty-six items for you to use. Included in the twenty-six items are graphite and charcoal pencils and sticks, graphite and charcoal erasers and sharpeners. Because the erasers are included, you do not need to worry about how you are going to sharpen your pencil or erase a mistake on your sketchpad.
- Castle gives you both quantity and quality with your sketching pencil set. They also give you a lot of variety. You have a variety of H and B pencils including a B and an HB pencil. The quality is excellent, and the price is reasonable.
- It comes with a case so you can keep your pencils together and protected.
- The kit is a good start-up set for amateurs. It gives them a variety of pencils to choose from right at their fingertips. Even as they progress, there is no need to invest in an additional pencil set.
- The case is a plastic case. It does not really keep your pencils in place, but it is only good for keeping them together. It may even be described as a plastic wrapper.
Choosing the best drawing pencils will probably be a bit difficult as each brand has its strengths and weaknesses. The Colore pencils, like the other brands, did not have colored pencils. Colore also did not put their pencils in a case. You would have to buy your case separately. The Derwent Pencils, unlike the other two brands, come with an H pencil. It does not, however, have a sharpener or erasers for the pencils. The only negative thing about Castle Art was that their products did not come in a case that can be described as durable.
Despite not having erasers or sharpeners, Derwent may actually have the best drawing pencils because they provide the most variety. The next pick would be the Castle Art pencils, simply because their only con is the lack of a durable pencil case. If sharpeners and erasers are important, then get the Castle Art. If not, then go with the Derwent.